The International Magnesium Association (IMA) will hold its 80th Annual IMA World Magnesium Conference on May 14-16, 2023, in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The conference brings together magnesium experts from around the world to discuss the latest trends and developments in the industry.
The IMA issued a call for abstracts of topics proposed for presentation at the upcoming conference. Abstracts should be no more than 150 words and are invited to address all topics related to magnesium.
Presentations are being sought on the latest developments in the magnesium industry including new or improved materials, processes, applications, markets, recycling, fundamental research, emerging technologies, and all other topics related to magnesium metal.
After the event, presentation slides will be made available to conference attendees. Presenters may submit papers for review and possible publication in the Journal of Magnesium and Alloys. Presentations at the event will be 25-30 minutes each, with five minutes allotted for question and answer sessions.
Suggested topics for presentations at the IMA World Magnesium Conference include, but are not limited to:
- Aerospace applications (cast and wrought)
- Automotive applications (powertrain, body, chassis, interior, etc.)
- Other transportation applications (railway, bicycle, motorcycle, etc.)
- Electronic applications (computers, cell phones & consumer products, etc.)
- Energy applications (battery, fuel cell, hydrogen storage, etc.)
- Aluminum alloying application
- Desulfurization and foundry applications
- Biomedical applications
- Any other new applications
Production Recycling & Market Development
- Magnesium extraction processes
- New primary magnesium production projects
- Supply, demand, and market development
- Health and safety
- Environmental regulations
- Recycling technologies
- Life cycle assessment
- Standards and property databases
- All casting processes including semi-solid and continuous casting
- All wrought processes including sheet, extrusions, and forging
- Machining and assembly processes
- Corrosion and coating solutions
- Joining and galvanic protection solutions
- Additive manufacturing and other emerging processes
Research & Development
- Cast and wrought alloy development
- Magnesium-based metal matrix composites
- Modeling and simulation technologies
- Emerging technologies and large R&D programs
Presentation Selection Criteria
The IMA Program Committee will invite presentations based on the abstracts received. Presentations will be accepted according to their relevance, accuracy practicality, appropriate use of case histories, user experiences, and actual industry applications. Additionally, focus, quality, usefulness, and uniqueness of the subject matter will be considered. Applicants are encouraged to submit abstracts that have a non-commercial tone and content.
It is preferred that all abstracts and final presentations be submitted in English. Simultaneous translations may be provided at the Conference.
Abstracts must be submitted in electronic format using the online submission link on or before January 10, 2023.