The International Magnesium Association (IMA) will host its 79th World Magnesium Conference on August 29-31, 2022 in Barcelona, Spain. The event will highlight technological advances, innovative applications, and emerging developments in the magnesium industry global marketplace. This valuable conference will provide magnesium industry professionals with the latest information and advances on magnesium processes, applications, technology, and environmental concerns.
The conference will include a technical program featuring presentations in themed sessions, as well as a presentation of the winners of the IMA’s Awards of Excellence.
Call for Abstracts
The IMA invites abstracts of papers proposed for presentation at its World Magnesium Conference. Presenters will participate in advancing the industry and have an unparalleled opportunity to address magnesium professionals, industry leaders, and decision-makers, who seek cutting-edge information and problem-solving resources.
Presentations are being sought on the latest developments in the magnesium industry including new or improved materials, processes, applications, markets, recycling, fundamental research, emerging technologies, and all other topics related to magnesium. Suggested topics for papers to present at the conference include, but are not limited to:
- Magnesium Production, Recycling, and Market Development – extraction processes, new primary magnesium projects, recycling, health and safety, supply and demand, and market development.
- Magnesium Process Technologies – including casting, wrought processing, machining and assembly, corrosion and coating, joining, additive manufacturing, and other processes.
- Magnesium Applications – including aerospace, automotive, transportation, electronics, energy, aluminum alloying, and more.
- Research and Development – cast and wrought alloy development, metal matrix composites, modeling and simulation technologies, and other technologies and research programs.
Abstracts must be submitted in electronic format using the online submission form. Please submit a 150-word abstract on or before March 31, 2022. The abstract must include sufficient detail to permit a thorough review and evaluation of the paper’s proposed content and significance.
Papers of the selected abstracts will be published in the World Magnesium Conference Proceedings. Presentation of papers at the event will be 20-25 minutes each, with 5 minutes allotted for questions and answers.
The IMA annually honors organizations through its awards program, which features the Awards of Excellence, the Environmental Responsibility Award, and the Health & Safety Award.
Nominations can be made by companies, a customer, or anyone else whether or not they are an IMA member. The deadline to submit nominations is May 31, 2022.
Awards of Excellence
The IMA Awards of Excellence are a wonderful opportunity for participants in the magnesium industry to showcase outstanding magnesium products and innovative manufacturing technologies. A popular tradition now in its 58th consecutive year, the annual program is open to all companies demonstrating outstanding examples of magnesium’s use.
The categories for the awards are as follows:
- Automotive Cast Product – Recognizing unique, novel, and creative design, development, or application of magnesium. The design, engineering or application of entries in this category must demonstrate a significant advance over current practices.
- Commercial (Non-Automotive) Cast Product – Recognizing unique, novel, and creative design, development, or application of magnesium. The design, engineering, or application of entries in this category must demonstrate a significant advance over current practice
- Wrought Product – Recognizing unique, novel, and creative design, development, or application of magnesium. The design, engineering or application of entries in this category must demonstrate a significant advance over current practice.
- Process – Recognizing innovation in manufacturing or processing technology leading to higher quality and/or reduced costs. Entries may include but are not limited to: primary production, conversion in manufacturing, improvements in manufacturing techniques for higher quality and reduced costs, and innovations in management systems.
- NEW – Future Technologies for Magnesium – Presented for the first time this year, this category will recognize novel non-traditional advances in magnesium technology, including processes, manufacturing methods, applications, and novel alloy formulations. Entries may include but are not limited to: bio-medical applications, additive manufacturing processes, and other non-traditional applications.
Nominations are judged by a peer review panel of international experts. Winners are recognized worldwide and receive considerable publicity throughout IMA and the metals industry.
Environmental Responsibility Award
The IMA Environmental Responsibility Award was created to recognize companies that are playing an active role in reducing the magnesium industry’s carbon footprint and that exemplify the industry’s commitment to environmental responsibility. The award is open to all companies within the global magnesium industry.
Health & Safety Award
The IMA has a long-standing commitment to promoting the safe use and handling of magnesium. Winning entries for the Health and Safety Award will demonstrate a clear commitment for improving operational safety that positively impacts the organization, employees, and the environment. Winning submissions will provide an overview of the safety initiatives with the intention that others can learn from their example.