The Global Lightweight Vehicle Manufacturing (GALM) Congress 2014 will take place in Detroit, Michigan on May 28-29, 2014. Driven by the need to improve fuel economy and reduce carbon emissions, automotive OEMs are reducing vehicle weights by using advanced materials, such as high-strength aluminum and steel, as well as magnesium alloys. With new lightweight developments creating challenges in vehicle assembly and driving continual changes to plant infrastructure, manufacturing OEMs are rapidly trying to learn how to cost-effectively weld, rivet, form, and cast lightweight vehicles on a global platform. For the first time, the GALM series has now created a congress specially designed for experts who are actively pioneering key technologies, deciding on joining methods, and implementing welding, bonding, and riveting technologies to economically, rapidly and consistently join aluminum, steel, and carbon fiber composites.
Topics to Be Discussed Include
- Comparison of costs, integrity, and applications of the latest welding technologies, including: Laser Welding, Resistance Spot Welding, Collision Welding, Impulse Manufacturing, Friction Stir Welding, and Ultrasonic Welding.
- Unique per material, per application analysis for joining — taking a deep dive into practically overcoming manufacturing challenges to join mixed material lightweight vehicles, using processes such as:Self-Piercing Rivets,Structural Adhesives, Hybrid Bonding, and Clinch Joints.
- A look at not only how OEMs can implement manufacturing and joining technologies, but also why each technology was chosen, so delegates can attain insight into the economics as well as the application of each joining technology.
- Evaluation assembly plans for joining of multi-material vehicles to estimate the required measures to achieve efficient cost effective high volume production.
- Joining steel to aluminum — identifying the optimal joining technologies for cost effectively overcoming the incompatibilities of aluminum and steel using welding, riveting and adhesive bonding
Value for Aluminum Companies
- Discover OEM future plans for joining lightweight, multi-material vehicles and how material suppliers plan to meet their needs.
- Justify the business case for new technology: This is the first automotive conference to focus on the business case for which joining technologies are right for integrating lightweight materials and how to apply them to enable high volume production both regionally and globally.
- Network with leading OEMs, including General Motors, Audi, Honda, Volkswagen USA, Fiat, Nissan, Chrysler, Lotus, Tesla, Local Motors, and Toyota.
- Participate actively in extended panel discussions and designated Q&A after each presentation to compare and contrast new advancements and promote active discussion and constructive debate.
For general inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-721-3915.
More information can also be found on the conference website.