The December 2014 issue of Light Metal Age is now available. The digital edition has been released to subscribers and the print edition will be shipped next week.
The cover features as-rolled aluminum foil produced by Hydro’s Grevenbroich rolling mill in Germany. The foil is only 15 μm thick but completely free from grease. Previously material could only be cleaned of residual rolling oil by undergoing heat treatment. Hydro announced earlier this year a sophisticated bath process whereby foil can be chemically degreased yet still retain the original degree of hardness.
Feature Articles include:
- Cosmetic Corrosion of Aluminum Automotive Closure Sheet, by Geoff Scamans, Innoval Technology
- Application of Advanced Al-Li Plate on the NASA Orion Crew Module, by Michael Niedzinski, Constellium Aerospace & Transportation
- Aluminum’s Explosive Growth into Automotive in America – Interview with Tom Boney, Aluminum Association, ATG
- Europe Continues Very Steady Growth in Automotive – Interview with Patrik Ragnarsson, European Aluminium Association, A&TG
- Nanostructured Wire Rod Research and Development in Russia, by V.Kh. Mann, A.Yu. Krokhin, and I.A. Matveeva, UC Rusal, and G.I. Raab, M.Yu. Murashkin, and R.Z. Valiev, Institute of Physics of Advanced Materials, Ufa State Aviation Technical University
- Eastern European Extruder Increases Volume to Serve Growing EU Market
- Defects Affecting Extruded Surface – Transverse Weld, by Jerome Fourmann, Rio Tinto Alcan
- The Extrusion Press Container: Thermal Stability of the Liner Not Uniformity of the Container Mantle, by Paul Robbins and Dr. Ken Chun Chien, Castool
- UMC Expands Market Scope with New Coil Coating Capacity
- First Laser-Welded Aluminum Door Blanks for Mass Production
Editorial departments include a Personality Profile on Charles K. Gillespie, who marks 50 years at Gillespie & Powers and a Book Review on the Aluminum Statistical Review for 2013, published by the Aluminum Association, as well as two Spotlight articles: “Heat Treating Furnaces for Flat Rolled Aluminum,” by Gerald Eckertsbertger, Ebner Industrieofenbau Gmbh and B.J. Austin, Ebner Furnaces, Inc. and “Secondary Containment for Aluminum Rolling Mills” about a system for secondary oil containment developed by Albarrie.
Also included is a preview of the combined Aluminium Two Thousand – ICEB 2015 congress and coverage of Flat Rolled News, Extruder News, and Contracts & Expansions.
If you would like to receive a copy of the December issue, as well as future issues of Light Metal Age, subscribe online today!